- Password requirements for complex passwords that should be changed regularly.
- Security questions that require answers that a hacker is unlikely to know.
- Watermark picture to verify website authenticity.
- Limiting money transfers to accounts with the same ownership.
- Wire transfers or ACH originations are not allowed online.
- Online bill payments are monitored for unusual activities.
- Monitoring of online user patterns that activate security questions if the account is accessed from a different computer.
- E-mail messages available to alert you to account activity.
- Well trained employees who are held to strict standards to protect your private information.
Our customers are encouraged to help protect themselves by following the following precautions:
- Install up-to-date virus, spyware and malware protection software.
- Install a firewall to prevent unauthorized access to your computer.
- Create a strong password that uses a combination of letters and characters. Do not use common words, names, birthdates, phone numbers, or other passwords that might be easily guessed.
- Never give your username or password to anyone to use.
- Keep your passwords secret and do not leave them in an unsecure area.
- Change your password immediately if you feel someone else might have access to it.
- Beware of phishing e-mails directing you to follow the provided link to access or change your information.
- Never leave your computer logged on to the online banking site.
- Never give account numbers or confidential information out in any transaction you did not originate.
- Never respond to banners or pop-ups on your computer.
- Never respond to e-mails that request your confidential information.
- Never share personal information, especially account numbers, passwords, social security number, etc. over e-mail.
- Review transactions on your account regularly and contact the bank immediately if you do not recognize a transaction.
- Sign up for e-mail messages to alert you to account activity.
- Keep your computer software and internet browser current.
- Verify that you are using a secured website before initiating any transactions.
- Erase the hard drive before discarding an old computer.
- Shred sensitive documents before disposal.
Citizens Bank will NEVER contact you by phone or e-mail to ask for your confidential information. If, for any reason, you feel that your account information may have been compromised, please contact a member of our staff immediately at 573-392-3381 or 573-378-5464.